The UK has left the EU and is now in a transition period with a future trade deal with Europe under negotiation. The Humber Growth Hub has collected a range of resources developed by Government and private sector organisations which can help businesses in the Humber region plan for the various future trade deals.


Humber LEP Survey
We would like to know if leaving the EU will have any impact on your business (Positive or Negative) and if you have any plans in place to deal with these impacts. Please complete our survey and we will feed back information to HM Government.

EU Exit Survey

Preparing for EU Exit – HM Government information

The UK has now left the EU and is in a transition period until 31 December 2020 while the EU and UK negotiate new trade arrangements.

You, your family or your business can take some actions now to prepare for the UK’s exit from the EU

What Happens Next

View and download the government document giving new guidance for businesses. Here (PDF file) 

Sign up for the Trader Support Service
If you move goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland the Trader Support Service will guide you through any changes due to the implementation of the Northern Ireland Protocol.
Sign up here


Preparing for changes at the UK border after a no deal EU exit, This site provides a high-level guide or links to processes and procedures that are likely to apply to cross-border activity between the UK and the EU in a no deal scenario. It also links you to more detailed sector-specific guidance.

Customs declarations for goods brought into the EU

Customs declarations for goods taken out of the EU

Temporary tariff regime updated

Importing after EU Exit: check what you need to do

Employer Bulletin: EU Exit edition

Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI)

HMRC has advised that  UK businesses may need to register for an Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number to continue to export or import goods within the EU Currently an EORI number is only required by UK businesses that import or export goods to or from countries outside of the EU.

HMRC has started to automatically enrol all relevant traders that are VAT registered to have EORI numbers and they will receive the following letter soon from HMRC. (Please note the file contains two letters one for UK businesses and one for NI businesses).

EORI – Letters to Businesses for UK and NI (PDF file)

If businesses are not VAT registered and need to continue to trade with the EU then they will need to apply for an EORI. This can be done online and only takes around 15 minutes.

How to apply for an EORI 

The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS)

Advice for SME’s

Advice for businesses on consumer rights After EU Exit.

Advice for manufacturers and retailers on textile labelling.

Placing manufactured goods on the UK market after EU Exit

Providing services abroad

Selling products in the EU

Comply with new data requirements

When the UK leaves, certain data requirements will change for organisations which operate within the EU. Further information on these changes can be found here:

Using personal data – A GOV.UK summary of guidance (published 6 February)

ICO Data Protection – the ICO main page for EU exit resources.

Companies House

Companies House has produced guidance to help you find out whether your business will need to change its company registration from 1 January 2021, and how to do this. Changing your company registration from 1 January 2021.


The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)

Has published guidance on several key areas affecting businesses. Please follow these links for support on: exporting and importing fishtransporting endangered species,  pesticides,  importing and exporting plants,  trading timber, and managing data. Detailed guidance for the fisheries sector and preparing for EU Exit can be found on Gov.UK here.

Exporters of animals and animal products require an Environmental Health Certificate (EHC).

There is a PDF document which has details of Defra-led international agreements that will not be in place by exit day. International Agreements Information

Food labelling

The food labelling awareness campaign has relaunched to remind businesses to make changes to their product labels to be ready for EU exit. Visit @DefraGovUK on twitter to watch and retweet a video message from our Head of Labelling policy. Guidance about food labelling changes can be found here.

In summary the EU emblem must not be used on goods produced in the UK unless a company has been authorised by the EU to do so.

If you are a domestic producer: It will be inaccurate to label UK food as origin ‘EU’. For the UK market additional information such as signage in shops and online information can help clarify to the consumer the origin of the food.

If you are exporting to the EU: You must include an EU address for the food business operator (FBO) or EU importer on pre-packed food.

Health and ID mark prefixes used to label UK products of animal origin must carry either: the official two-digit ISO Code (‘GB’) or the full country name in capital letters (‘UNITED KINGDOM’). It will be inaccurate to label UK food as origin ‘EU’.

If you are importing from the EU: You must include a UK address for the food business operator (FBO) or UK importer on pre-packed food sold in the UK. The UK government is aiming to give businesses until December 2020 to make this change.

Defra will continue to provide further information and guidance on other topics that may affect businesses should we leave the EU without a deal.If you have questions regarding no deal EU exports, please email

Smarter Rules for Safer Foods – changes for importers of animals and products of animal origin:
While you will continue to import as now during the transition period, you should also be aware that EU are making changes to the pre-notification system. More information is available here:

Defra helpline on 08459 33 55 77.

The Food Standards Agency (FSA)

For more information from the FSA visit

Prepare your food and drink business 

Animal origin meat and dairy flowchart get ready final (PDF)

Food Standards Agency helpline on 020 7276 8829

The Department for International Trade (DIT)

Department for Internal Trade have created four informative videos that can be shared with members and supply chains to answer queries on tariffs and free trade. DIT Videos

The way we trade with the EU and other countries

The UK benefits from trade agreements with other countries through membership of the EU. When we leave the EU some of these agreements won’t apply.

Be ready and prepare your business with these steps:

Find out which trade agreements with non-EU countries are in place during and after the transition period. here

A consultation to inform our own Most Favoured Nation tariff schedule, the UK Global Tariff. here

Changes to exporting goods and services from the UK from 1 January 2021. here

Intellectual Property Office (IPO)

information on trademarks, designs, patents, copyright, and exhaustion of IP rights during the transition period. Intellectual property and the transition period.

Guidance for businesses and organisations holding EU trademarks at the end of the transition period. EU trademark protection and comparable UK trademarks.

Guidance for business holding registered community designs and international trademarks and designs after the end of the transition period. Changes to EU and international designs and trade mark protection from 1 January 2021.

Guidance for businesses who have unregistered community designs.  Changes to unregistered designs from 1 January 2021
 Guidance covering the impacts on UK right holders, businesses, cultural heritage institutions and consumers. It is not legal advice. Changes to copyright law from1 January 2021.

Guidance on actions that parallel exporters to the EEA and intellectual property rights holders will need to take after the transition period. Exhaustion of IP rights and parallel trade from 1 January 2021.

Guidance on international trademark registrations protected in the EU under the Madrid Protocol will no longer enjoy protection in the UK after the transition period. Changes to international trade mark registration from 1 January 2021

The Department for Health and Social Care

Advice for EU Health and Social Care staff: EU exit preparations update

The Department for Transport

French customs guidance

If the UK leaves the EU with no deal, customs formalities and controls at the border between France and the UK will be reinstated for goods. Both imports and exports will be subjected to two customs declarations, one to British Customs and one to French Customs. Details of the guidance issued by the French authorities can be found here.

Home Office

The Home Office has created this page which will be updated with the latest information about the new-points based immigration system. You can also sign up for email alerts. New immigration system: what you need to know.

Competition and Markets Authority 

The Competition and Markets Authority has published guidance on its functions under the Withdrawal Agreement. The guidance is intended for businesses and their legal advisors but may also be of interest to other enforcers. UK Exit from the EU: Guidance on the functions of the CMA under the Withdrawal Agreement.

Ministry of Justice 

The Ministry of Justice has produced guidance for legal services business owners on preparing the end of the transition period. Legal services business owners from 1 January 2021

Government EU Exit Forums

The government has held a series of forums relating to business readiness for leaving, you can find details of these forums in this PDF file, which also contains a number of useful links to helpful resources.

EU Exit Business Readiness Forum (PDF file)

HM Government Tool available to prepare your business for the UK leaving the EU

You can use this tool to find out:

  • what your business may need to do to prepare for the UK leaving the EU
  • what’s changing in your industry
  • information on specific rules and regulations

Use the HM Government Tool 

Trade with the UK

Check How to Export Goods

UK Transition communications resources

EU exit_Toolkit_Questions_National (PDF)

10_No_Regret_Actions_National (PDF)

Information from the European Commission

Information about the impact of the United Kingdom’s withdrawal from the EU in the area of customs and taxation and the customs union.Unless a ratified withdrawal agreement establishes another date, the United Kingdom will become a ‘third country’ after EU exit, towards the rest of the EU countries.

EU Taxation and customs union details

Details from the Federation of Small Businesses

The Federation of Small Businesses have put together Small Business EU exit Pack which gives information to small businesses on how they should prepare for the impact of leaving the EU.One of the purposes of this pack is to clearly set out what smaller businesses should be thinking about in the event of a disorderly no-deal scenario. The decision on when to enact a contingency plan is a matter for each individual business.The FSB believes all smaller businesses should now be acting to mitigate the consequences of a no-deal scenario

Small Business Pack

Details from the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) 

The ICO have information on how personal data will continue to flow after Brexit between the UK and the EU.In a ‘no deal’ situation the UK Government has already made clear its intention to enable data to flow from the UK to EEA countries without any additional measures. But transfers of personal data from the EEA to the UK will be affected.

Personal Data flow

The British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) Checklist

The BCC has created a checklist has to help businesses consider the changes that Brexit may bring to their businesses, and to help business planning at both operational and Board levels.The BCC believe that all firms – not just those directly and immediately affected – should be undertaking a Brexit ‘health check’, and a broader test of existing business plans. Time spent thinking through the changes that Brexit may bring to your firm could yield real dividends in future. The checklist helps you perform a health check for your business.

The BCC Checklist (PDF)

Advisor Help for your business

Contact the government EU exit Import and Export Telephone Helpline 

You can get information about importing and exporting goods after EU exit by calling the helpline, full contact details can be found here.

Contact your Humber Growth Hub Business Advisor

If you would like local support for your business with issues surrounding EU exit then our advisors are here to help.  You can arrange to have a free One to One clinic with your local Growth Hub Business Advisor .

Arrange an appointment with your local Growth Hub Business Advisor

The Hull and Humber Chamber of Commerce

If you are looking for EU Exit support for your Humber business the Hull and Humber Chamber of commerce can also offer help and advice for you.

There contact telephone number is 0330 311 5142