Claiming money or property from a dissolved company

Business: Selling Closing


    When a company is dissolved, all of its assets pass to the Crown, and are legally known as ‘bona vacantia’ (ownerless property). Assets include:

    • property and land
    • mortgages
    • shares
    • intellectual property, eg trademarks, registered designs and patents

    You may be able to restore the company without a court order if you were a director or shareholder of a dissolved company.

    Claiming or buying assets

    You may be able to claim or buy assets from the dissolved company if:

    • they owe you money – by getting a court order to restore the company
    • you’re someone affected by the company closing – by ‘referring’ their assets
    • you were a shareholder – by applying for a discretionary grant

    How to buy or acquire the assets of a dissolved company – how and when you can claim money or property, who to contact and the forms you need