Food premises approval (England)

Business: Licences

    You need a licence for handling meat, fish, egg or dairy products unless you sell these direct to the public

    If your business involves handling meat, fish, egg or dairy products, you must be inspected and approved by your local council.


    You don’t need to be inspected or approved if you sell direct to the public or retailers like caterers, pubs and restaurants, as long as:

    • food is less than 25% of your trade
    • you don’t handle any wild game meat products
    • you don’t sell food outside the county your business is registered in

    You must still follow the rules for controlling the temperature and storage of any food you transport.

    Displaying your licence

    Your council will have their own rules for how to display your approved status, usually on your food products themselves.

    Fines and penalties

    It’s a criminal offence to run unapproved food premises and you can be prosecuted for doing so.

    Food premises approval for sites that handle meat, fish, egg or dairy products.