Most tenants have the right to renew their business lease when it ends.
However, there are certain tenants who don’t have this right.
Business tenancies without renewal rights
You don’t have automatic renewal rights if:
- you’re a farm business tenant
- you’re a mining tenant
- you’re a service tenant employed by the landlord
- you’re on fixed-term tenancy of 6 months or less
- you waived your right to renew at the start of your lease
The landlordÂs right to refuse
Your landlord can refuse to renew your lease if:
- you’re in breach of your obligations (eg you’ve not paid your rent)
- they want to use the premises themselves, for their business, or to live there
Most tenants have the right to renew a lease – exceptions and landlord’s rights to refuse a renewal of a lease