Report a trader or business for tax evasion

Tax evasion and unregistered traders or businesses

    Report someone to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) if they’re in trade or running a business but aren’t paying tax on their profits.

    You can report tax fraud online using the Tax Evasion Hotline or by telephone or post.

    Tax Evasion Hotline
    Telephone: 0800 788 887
    Textphone: 0300 200 3519
    Fax: 0800 783 0879
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
    Find out about call charges





    CF14 5GX

    For your own safety you shouldn’t:

    • try to find out more about the fraud
    • let anyone know you’re making a report
    • encourage anyone to commit a crime so you can get more information

    What is tax evasion

    Tax evasion is when someone is carrying on a trade or running a business, but isn’t paying tax on some or all of their profits.

    For example, they might:

    • not have told HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) that they’re in a trade or business
    • not tell HMRC about all their business income
    • keep business ‘off the books’ by accepting or paying cash and not giving receipts

    Other types of fraud

    You can also contact the Insolvency Service, Companies House or the Serious Fraud Office if you suspect a limited company or its directors of fraud or serious misconduct.