Mariner Packaging Ltd has been trading in the manufacture and supply of packaging materials to the food, agricultural and construction industry for the last 12 years, seeing rapid growth in the last four years. Servicing markets in both the UK and in overseas sectors such as USA, Canada and Europe, it is currently operating from two locations in Grimsby consisting of warehousing/ office premises and a factory.
The key issues the company are looking to address in the short term are:
- Lack of warehousing space as the business grows
- Poor working environment in the factory
- Manufacturing inefficiencies from unsuitable machinery
- Cost of outsourcing embossing work
- Lack of effective stock control system and paperless ordering and fulfilment process with associated costs
The Growth Hub Advisor worked closely with the managing director to develop a robust business plan, financial forecasts and other supporting documentation required to facilitate a grant application to the Humber LEP.
The successful application has provided the company with ‘Growing the Humber RGF Programme’ funding support of £19,593.98, a 20% contribution towards the total eligible project costs of £97,698.88, the balance of which will be met through company funds.
With the client’s commitment to this investment program the company will be able to:
- Increase storage capacity of the main site through the leasing of an additional building and through the purchase of metal containers
- Improve the efficiency of the purchasing and stock control functions of the business through the implementation of new software and hand help scanners. This will enable the business to move towards the ambition of developing a paperless system.
- Upgrade the winding factory making it a better place to work for the companies employees, leading to greater retention of staff
- Upgrade and invest in new winding machinery which will improve factory efficiency and increase production capacity
The company will require the recruitment of an additional warehouse operator to manage the planned growth in activity and a sales representative employed to promote and sell new materials manufactured in the factory.